- You procured your rental through an English speaking/ Ecuadorian real estate agent or online.
- You asked for any one of these amenities in your new place: views 2) elevator 3) by the river 4) near shopping 5) walk to Supermaxi.6) yard 7) a detached house.
- You took the first price that was quoted and did not negotiate.
- Your new place is a furnished one bedroom suite. (Tourist rental)
- Your landlord raised the rent after one year. (Illegal in Ecuador)
- You paid two or three months rent upfront. (The locals do not do this)
- You compared the Ecuadorian rental price to what you WERE PAYING in the u.s.
- You brought your u.s standards of living with you.
- You simply don’t care how much your rent is.
- You’re paying more than
$400(now new gringo rate $600 to $1200 for a house) for an unfurnished 3-bedroom 3-bath house, or you are paying more than $350 for 3 bedroom 3 bath apartment that does not have 24 hour security or elevator.
Note: There are many variables that go into the price of a rental including but not limited to, whether bldg. has an elevator, square footage, foreign owners or local owners, etc. etc. Houses have higher rents than apartments.
See our videos of beautiful homes in Cuenca for between $250 and $400!!
We're an Expat Family of Five Living Frugal, Healthy and Happy in Cuenca Ecuador! Enjoy the blog!